Monday 28 November 2011



At last, they’re finished.  In the end, it didn’t take very long to construct them.  The decoration took the most time, and with hindsight there are quite a few things I would do differently to achieve a better finish but the mistakes have developed my understanding further of the properties of different types of fabric so good learning.  I also got very focused on how to pull the whole together (dreams about stitching the lining for example) without considering sufficiently the constituent parts.  The plush sheds a lot as well – the flat looks as if it has been carpet bombed by a yeti. 




And ground breaks this morning on the craft room.  Rather daftly I have forgotten to take a before picture – actually I didn’t forget so much as run out of time after a panicked “must get fit” revelation as I fell asleep last night which propelled me out of the door before the crows were up this morning which meant I was then running late for the schlep to the office.  So no before picture, but I will take some work in progress shots as the week goes on.

My cushion has been banned from the living room - apparently it's "very nice but one for the craft room only".  Honestly, I should have made it in beige and pastel flowers. Grr.  Oh well, am sure I'm not alone in this - having a warm and untroubled fondness for something I've made, then being surprised when it is not shared by other people.  It's probably a bit like being a parent to a ugly child - no one thinks they're child resembles The Thing, and I love that ugly cushion goddamnit.

Anyone else been taken by surprise that it’s Christmas in four working weeks – the trouble with getting excited and baking the cakes in early Autumn is that it’s a constant low level hum and a body doesn’t realise the event itself is sneaking up.  I've suddenly realised I have no time to decorate the cakes I made as gifts, and also don't know how to decorate cakes.  Ah well, nothing like learning on the job and under pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment