Thursday 4 April 2013

Hooray for overlocking

I bought an overlocker before Christmas.  Nothing says thrift like buying presents for oneself.  I went to John Lewis and hey presto I had a lovely little Janome 9200D overlocker clutched in my happy paws.  It's an entry level model so great for someone new to overlocking.  My concern is that, a bit like my Janome 525s, which is a fantastic machine, I may outgrow the overlocker before it has come to the end of its natural life.  Anyway, that's what eBay is for and then I have the joy of looking into a new machine in due course, and preferably one with a long-arm option for quilting because I'm rather limited with the size of my quilts at the moment. 

Anyway, that's hardly the point.  John Lewis offers a 45 minute lesson into threading the blasted thing.  I would say 45 minutes of furrowed brow thinking - those machines are NOT easy to thread.  Even with the apparently colour coded guide, all of a sudden another threading point would loom out or, worse, be crucial but be tucked inside the belly of the machine.  I suddenly could understand why the kit came with tweezers (the sort you normally have for cake making or, I imagine, removing sutures from a resected aorta or similar).  Those looming bits, they weren't always colour coded. 

After two attempts it was threaded and actually while it is initially perplexing, once you've done it a couple of times it does make sense.  The end result is so neat and lovely that it's totally worth it.

Also, is it wrong to be slightly in love with a storage solution.  Or a "so wrong it's right" sort of love?  How amazing are these and they're in the sale.  Too too lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment