Thursday 4 April 2013

Putting the P.L.A.N. into action ...

I've been having a devil of a time with this blog.  For months, MONTHS, I couldn't upload pictures which is why this post from January is now being posted in April.  But I'm posting it anyway because it wasn't a case of neglect; just a case of writing stuff and then not being able to post it.  Pah ... more to follow shortly.

I hope that all of you are having a very good 2013 so far.  This is a picture of the Play-doh exploits of my nephews at New Year.  As you can see, the year got off to a good and creative start.  The squashed figure lying down is, apparently, Batman and the other thing is a tortoise.  My niece wasn't keen on me having any to play with so the piglet in the background is what I could muster with the blob I was given.  It's a bit pathetic I know but I did enjoy having a muck about with the stuff. 

Aside from the usual new year issues – boilers breaking down, car lights going kaput etc - Project New Year is fully underway and I’m determined to get an Etsy store up and running.

Last week I sat down and made a list of all the things I’ve got to do to fulfil my resolutions.  I do love a list.  A plan makes me feel like I’m taking charge rather than lurking vaguely in the way of opportunities, hoping that they find me. 

The plan includes the usual type of things – modernise the blog, take better pictures and start getting more thorough with images of the things I make (e.g. tutorials etc).  I’ve got to overcome my fear of technology and embrace the idea of getting photographs off my camera to edit them instead of using them as is from the Blackberry.  Finally I’ve got to make some stock to sell on Etsy.

With that in mind I drew a template of a purse yesterday and then had a bash at making it.  As you can see this one is too long (or other options are: (i) the bottom hasn’t been made fat enough or (ii) if it was longer it could be a retro glasses case) but I think it’s on the right track and it’s fixable.  There are a few things I’ll do differently next time – start sewing further up the sides at the outset to neaten up the outside edges for example, either make it bigger or smaller so it's either a cosmetic bag or a coin purse  – but it’s a decent start.
I’m also working on a design for a knitted hat/headband/turban style whatnot; and finishing off the hand quilting on a baby quilt - this is made of organic wool felt blanketing for the back (on which I'm hand quilting) and then brushed cotton fleece from the Village Haberdashery. 

Front of the quilt

The hand quilting on the back
In due course, the Etsy shop will take shape.  Although probably not for the next few months.  At the moment, I'm stuck on names.  Do I stick with Modern Margo or think of something else?  Lots of things to ponder before I get stuck in but I will get there slowly...

No comments:

Post a Comment